Berkeley geotechnical engineer receives one of many highest skilled honors accorded an American engineer
The Nationwide Academy of Engineering (NAE) has elected to its ranks UC Berkeley’s Kenichi Soga, a geotechnical engineer within the Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Membership within the NAE is taken into account one of many highest skilled honors accorded an American engineer. Soga’s election, introduced at this time, brings to 74 the variety of Berkeley Engineering college members within the NAE.
Soga, the Donald H. McLaughlin Chair in Mineral Engineering and a Chancellor’s Professor, has a joint appointment as a school scientist within the Earth and Environmental Science Division on the Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Laboratory.
The NAE cited Soga for his advances in geomechanics and computational modeling, in addition to simulation and monitoring of underground infrastructure. His latest areas of analysis embody initiatives in partnership with the East Bay Municipal Utilities District (EBMUD) that use superior distant sensing applied sciences to higher monitor essential infrastructure techniques. Soga is the founding director of the Middle for Good Infrastructure, launched in 2021 by Berkeley Engineering and EBMUD to host this space of analysis, which has develop into more and more essential as communities face impacts as a result of local weather change, growing old techniques and pure hazards.
Soga, who serves as Particular Advisor to the Dean for Resilient and Sustainable Methods, can also be amongst seven alumni elected this 12 months from Berkeley Engineering, incomes his Ph.D. in civil and environmental engineering in 1994.
Different Berkeley Engineering alumni amongst this 12 months’s roster of newly elected members are:
• Andrew George Alleyne (M.S.’92, Ph.D.’94 ME), professor and dean, School of Science and Engineering, College of Minnesota, Minneapolis.
• J. Richard Capka (M.S.’77 CE), chief working officer, Dawson & Associates, Washington, D.C.
• Shih-Fu Chang (M.S.’91, Ph.D.’93 EECS), dean and Morris A. and Alma Schapiro Professor, Fu Basis College of Engineering and Utilized Science, Columbia College, New York Metropolis.
• David Alan Friedman (B.S.’75 CE), president and CEO (retired), Forell/Elsesser Engineers Inc., San Francisco.
• Linsey C. Marr (M.S.’97, Ph.D.’02 CEE), Charles P. Lunsford Professor, The Charles E. By way of Jr. Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg.
• Amin Vahdat (B.S.’92, Ph.D.’98 EECS), fellow and vice chairman, Google LLC, Mountain View, California.
Altogether, there are 2,420 NAE members nationwide and 319 worldwide members.
Election to the NAE is the newest recognition of Soga’s tutorial achievements. He’s additionally a Fellow of the UK Royal Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of the Establishment of Civil Engineers, amongst different honors.
New academy members can be inducted later this 12 months at a ceremony in Washington, D.C.
• Coming to mild: Monitoring infrastructure with superior sensor applied sciences
• UC Berkeley and EBMUD announce new Middle for Good Infrastructure
Leave a Reply